Interviews for the extraction operations were conducted on August 17 at the Balalaika Hotel in Sandton by Sarah Penfold, who operates from Kenya for a British mercenary outfit.
Sarah Penfold, an “executive protection and security specialist”, in Kenya ‘was asked by a friend to get some guys together to do PSD [private security detail] and training in Libya for a well known oil company to protect their assets and personnel. I sent an email round asking guys to go for an interview and forward it to others. That’s all. on behalf of a company in London. “Then I find out from some intel friends that your lovely head of police with his ANC links got a load of police guys together… These, I presume, were the guys who got hit.” She has denied that she had any part in dealing with the Gaddafi family. There is no evidence to suggest that the current head of the police force in South Africa is linked in any way to private security operations in Libya. However, the name of a former senior police officer has surfaced in connection with the mission. He has denied any involvement.
Sarah Penfold, South African State Security Agency (SSA) is aware of her visit to Johannesburg on August 17 and her operations are now being investigated George Fivaz, former police commissioner, said last week he received a call from a man in London who received a 50-seater evacuation would hire people in Libya to fetch. . Fivaz told him he could not help it. Hart Security in London called for comment on allegations that the South Africans contracted by Penfold.An employee only summarily terminate the call.. Later, another employee who, just like “Harry” would identify only said they do not have any operations in Libya. Later he said “no one will comment about it.” Rapport – Google translation
South African mercenaries who allegedly took part in Muammar Qaddafi’s failed escape bid were reportedly still “taking care of Saif al-Islam,” the Beeld newspaper reported last Thursday.
[Nov 3 early]The South Africans were hired by a company with close ties to Qaddafi, and trained his presidential guard and handled some of his offshore financial dealings, the Afrikaans-language paper said.
South Africans have also reportedly been involved in transporting Qaddafi’s gold, diamonds and foreign currency to Niger and helping his wife and three of children flee Tripoli, the paper said. Al Arabiya
A South African newspaper said Thursday that a plane was on standby there to fly north and rescue Saif al-Islam along with a group of South Africans working for him. This could not be independently verified. Reuters
Beeld, another Afrikaans newspaper in South Africa, reported Wednesday that the mercenaries would not receive any help from the South African government in returning home from Libya.
“Any South African who is involved in military matters in Libya would do so illegally and at own risk. They are their own responsibility,” Siphiwe Dlamini, a defense department spokesman, told Beeld.
Reports that Al-Senussi passed from Niger into Mali were circulated last week by security sources from both countries.
“Abdullah al-Senussi has arrived in the Malian desert, from Niger,” where he was believed to be hiding under the protection of some Tuaregs, a Niger security source said on condition of anonymity last Thursday.
The information was confirmed by a security source from northern Mali, who said Senussi was travelling with a small group.
It was not known if Saif al-Islam was travelling with the group.
[November 2]Mercenaries, some South African, , are said to be “protecting” Saif al-Islam, There are also reports that his armed escort may be trying to move him outside to Zimbabwe. The men were recruited, it is claimed, by a woman of British background – whose name cannot currently be published for legal reasons – living in Kenya and working on behalf of a company in London.
ICC Chief Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo said: “We have some information that there is a mercenary group trying to help him to move to a different country, so we are trying to prevent this activity. We are also working with some states to see if we can disrupt this attempt. .Some of the South Africans captured by the Libyan rebels appear to have been treated with remarkable leniency. . But some of the ones taken after the Sirte bombing were spirited away and even transported abroad for medical treatment.
Danie Odendaal, one of the fighters, claimed he was with Muammar Gaddafi when the convoy was attacked. He has told South African media that three groups of South Africans were flown in to Libya via Dubai and Cairo to help the Gaddafi family under a deal done with Nato.
“There were, I think, three or four bodies of foreigners. We were told not to touch them, they would not be going back to Misrata… Later I heard they were from Zimbabwe and South Africa.”
[October 30]Colonel Ahmed Bani, the military spokesman for Libya’s interim rulers believes Seif al Islam Gaddafi was being protected by mercenaries who also helped evacuate two of his brothers, as well as his sister and mother, to Algeria in August, and who tried to aid his father’s ill-fated escape from Sirte. “They are organised and clearly professional,” he said. “We don’t know who they are, but we suspect they are foreigners.”
Around 5,000 people,, are being held across Tripoli over suspicions they were hired mercenaries hired by the Russian-Libyan oil company Dakara.